Since its inception, Springfield Clinic has been a leader in delivering state-of-the-art health care to its patients. And, decades later, the physicians and surgeons of Springfield Clinic continue to lead the way in medical technology and innovation. That spirit is reflected in the chronicles of Springfield Clinic's history.
Helen Lohmeier, RN who had laboratory and x-ray training was engaged both as nurse and technician. Gastrointestinal x-ray examinations were done by Dr. Herndon. X-ray films were ready by the doctor who ordered them. Interpretations were written or dictated and then typed on an X-ray Report Sheet and placed in a patient's record. Miss Buoy, the stenographer and receptionist, was instructed in laboratory procedures and was capable of a fair blood count and urinalysis. She was also instructed in taking x-ray pictures and did a fairly decent job on such x-rays as chests, ankles, wrists and shoulders. A second person was added to the office force in 1940, mostly for telephone and reception.
By July 1940, a full time stenographer was added. The stenographer did all of the typing and began to take some of the dictation of records, primarily dictation on new patients. The first medical staff expansion occurred in 1941 when Doctor Glen Wolf was engaged to practice Internal Medicine with Dr. Herndon. Further expansion was delayed by World War II, as four of the five original partners left to serve in World War II.
WW II took its toll on the Clinic; 4 of the 5 founding doctors left for the service. Dr. Herndon, being older and a veteran of World War I, had to stay home. Some of the rooms in the building were rented "for a duration" as office space to businesses and to two other doctors. Dr. Stewart stayed in Los Angeles after the war, and Dr. Wolf remained with the Public Health Service.
Dr Robert Hurie joined Dr Herndon as an assistant, with the thought of becoming a member of the Clinic when it would reopen after the war. He did remain in the Medical Department until 1951 when he entered solo practice in Springfield.
All four servicemen returned home safely in 1945 and with the team back in full force, the practice grew quickly and the organization prospered. Initially, policy was made by consensus among the five partners. Although voting was a rarity, each of the five partners owned 20 percent of the assets (equipment, cash, and accounts receivable), and each therefore had a vote weighted at 20 percent. Beginning in 1954, after World War II, as new doctors associated with the Clinic, the partnership agreement was changed to allow associates to become partners, usually after one year. An incoming partner bought a minor percent of the assets, purchasing equal fractions from the founding partners. A new partner had a weighted vote equal to the percent of ownership. After the withdrawal of Dr Stewart, who remained in Los Angeles after the war, and the retirement of Doctor Henderson in 1952 because of illness, Dr Ennis, Eveloff and Graham gradually sold down to 51 percent, which they retained until 1958. A reorganization at that time changed the voting to one vote for each partner. At the same time, the three remaining founding partners reduced their 51 percent ownership by selling portions of their equity to entering partners. In 1945, at the end of the World War II, Harry Hart was employed as Manager. He left in 1954.
Francis Wenzel took over as Administrator in the same year. Mr. Wenzel was very active in professional organizations and community affairs. In the Clinic he departmentalized, converted to computers, microfilmed medical records, established the Credit Union, pushed for a pension plan, initiated the house organ "Mouthpiece," organized the Prepayment Plan and the HMO, oversaw the satellites, and acted as Secretary to the Springfield Clinic Facilities Corporation, the doctor-owned corporation that owned the buildings and large equipment that were leased to the Clinic and that owned and operated the Pharmacy.
The first new physician to join the Medical Department after World War II in 1946 was P.V. Dilts. Doctor Dilts was one for the first to emphasize special fields in addition to his regular internal medicine patients. He welcomed from the other doctors in the Clinic the patients who were having special troubles with allergy and obesity. From the beginning, he developed a sizable volume of patients in these areas. Doctor Dilts had been in medical practice in Pittsfield since 1938 and had referred problem cases to the Clinic. He served in the Navy from 1942 to 1945. On release from the service he elected to move to a larger city and was looking for a group. He was welcomed into the Clinic and became its first subspecialist. He did especially well with the obese patients. He served the Clinic well for thirty years, retiring in 1976.
Doctor Earl Donelan, the first addition to general surgery in 1946, did not profess to be a full-fledged surgeon. He was a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Medicine and served a rotating internship at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. He worked chiefly with Dr. Graham. Dr. Earl left the Clinic to enter solo general practice in general medicine and surgery in 1949. Dr. Donelan played an important role in the Clinic by demonstrating that the group eventually would need to open a Department of General Practice, in addition to physicians who came in as specialist. The Clinic was to timid for the General Practice step in 1951. Dr Donlan later became one of the pioneer full-time Emergency Department physicians at St Johns. He retired in 1982.
Dr. Vine Dilts in 1946 introduced his Clinic partners to Allergy as a subspecialty of Internal Medicine. The history of satellite practice is interesting. The Ross-Loos Medical Group of Los Angeles established a branch practice system in 1946 as "a group with one head office and 11 branch offices in surrounding cities." The Central Medical Group of Brooklyn with branches on Long Island and the Rip Van Winkle Clinic with branches through the Hudson Valley in New York were in operation prior to 1949. Each of these clinics had difficulties with its respective Medical Society, but each persisted.
A new section of 12 rooms were added and the laboratory and x-ray rooms were further enlarged.
Dr. Herndon, as the senior member, was able to convince the younger partners that they ought not take all of their money home. A sizable portion of each month's drawing account as placed in a joint savings account. This money was used later to find the Springfield Clinic Building Corporation and was substantial enough in 1951 to launch construction of a new building farther out from the downtown district.
Two registered technicians, were engaged for laboratory and x-ray. Electrocardiography was introduced in the Clinic in the same year. Until that time, ECG had been available only at the hospitals, under the direction of a pathologist. The administrative department was enlarged considerably. In addition to four new clerks and typists, a filing system and a record coding system were added. Regular dictation of records was initiated, and by the end of the year Soundscribers were purchased for dictation of records.
Doctor Douglas M Grover joined the Medical Department in 1947. He was a graduate of Syracuse University Medical School (SUNY) at Syracuse, New York. He had served a medical internship at Brooklyn Hospital in Brooklyn, New York, and a residency in Internal Medicine at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, New York. Doctor Grover had a special interest in the diseases of the heart before the day of full time cardiologists and cardiac surgeons. Together with several other physicians, he interpreted the electrocardiograms at St. John's Hospital, and he introduced 12 lead electrocardiograms at that institution. He was the first in the Springfield area to use large doses of testosterone and estrogens for postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Dr. John Power joined with Dr. Ennis in 1947, but he left the Clinic in 1949 to pursue postgraduate work. The Clinic might have opened a Department of Family Practice in 1947 when Dr Earl Donelan joined the staff in the Surgical Department. He had come from his training at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. Although he was in the Surgical Department, his interest was in general medicine and surgery. However, General Practice was not a usual department in clinics at the time, and the partners at that time were not visionary enough or bold enough to establish such a department.
The Surgical Department expanded further when two Springfield natives joined the Clinic, Dr. Arthur M Lindsay in 1948 and Dr. James T Cummingham in 1949. Both doctors were Board eligible. They were graduates of the University of Illinois College of Medicine and served residencies in Chicago. Dr. Grover withdrew from the Clinic in 1949 when he became Assistant Medical Director at Franklin Life Insurance Company. In 1951 he opened an office for solo practice of Internal Medicine. He retired from private practice in 1980 but has continued to serve as Student Health Physician at Sangamon State University, a position he has held since the opening of the University in 1970.
Doctor Paul Montgomery, who came to the clinic in 1949, stressed cardiology as a subspecialty because of the advanced training he had received during his medical residency at the University of Iowa Hospitals. In the late 1950's he encouraged Doctor James Graham, trained in thoracic surgery, to perform bilateral internal mammary artery ligation (BIMAL) and pericardial poudrage to increase myocardial vascularizations for patients with coronary artery disease. An extremely busy and popular internist, he retired in 1987.
Dr. Almon A. Manson affiliated with the Medical Department in 1949. He was a Northwestern Medical School graduate and completed both an internship and a residency in Internal Medicine at Milwaukee County General Hospital. Although he came as an all-around internist, his subspecialty interest was in Gastroenterology. He introduced gastrointestinal endoscopy in the Springfield area, insing a semi-rigid endoscope prior to the development of fiberoptic instruments. Before Dr. Manson arrived in the city, only the esophagus was being visualized endoscopically by rigid esphagoscopy performed by an otolaryngologist, Doctor Stuart Broadwell. Dr. Manson served as Chairman of the department of Gastroenterology at St. John's Hospital. He is Clinical Associate Professor, Division of Gastroenterology, at SIU.
Dr. H. Glenn Woody, not long out of residency in Orthopedics, joined the Clinic Department of Surgery in 1949. He received his medical degree from the University of Chicago, Rush Medical College and served Orthopedic residencies in the Shriners Hospitals for Crippled Children in Chicago and the Hines Veterans Administration Hospital in Hines, Illinois. In a short time, Dr Woody took over all fractures and bone and joint surgery which the General Surgeons had been managing up to that time. This established the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. Dr. Woody managed orthopedics along for nine years.
The Clinic has 8 satellites in the Springfield area, in addition to scheduled specialist visitations to a number of hospitals and clinics in central Illinois. The Clinic experience with satellites dates back to 1949 when together with Dr Malmberg and Brandsford of Auburn, the Clinic established Auburn and Divernon branch offices of the Clinic. Although satellites and branches of clinics and hospitals are commonplace today, the concept was not well received by the profession when introduced by the Clinic at the early date, 1949. This displeasure of medical societies is illustrated by a comment made at a State Society Council meeting and forwarded to the Clinic in January 1952 : "The importance of this type of practice is obvious and the inroad it could make into the general practice of the little fellow is serious. It could be unethical."
Dr. Graham was President of the Sangamon County Medical Society in 1950 and in 1973. Dr. Charles N Christensen joined Dr. Eveloff in Pediatrics in 1950. He had his medical school at the University of Dakota and the University of Pennsylvania. He preformed the first exchange transfusion in Springfield for erythroblastosis foetailis. Dr. Christensen stayed with the clinic until 1957 when he left for a position as Pediatrician at the Miners Memorial Hospital in Pikeville, Ky. He then joined Eli Lilly and Company as a physician in the Medical Division. He moved up in the company over the years, rising to the position of VP. He retired in 1983. Dr. John Hubbard joined and remained until 1950 when he moved back to Decatur. Dr. Paul Raber took his place. Dr. Raber was with the Clinic until 1952 when he too moved to Decatur. The electroencephalograph was introduced in Springfield in 1950 when a Task Force on Epilepsy that included neurosurgeon Floyd S Barringer and psychiatrist Milton Bauman recommended the purchase and installation of the necessary equipment by St John's Hospital. Fred Stamp MD, an associate of William Gibbs MD, in Chicago, made a weekly trip to Springfield for EEG interpretation.
Launch construction of new building. Dr Donelan left the Clinic in 1951 to begin solo Family Practice.
Dr. Robert T. Patey came in 1952. He was graduated from Harvard Medical School and served his residency at Ancker Hospital in St. Paul, the University of Minnesota Hospital, and the University of Louisville Hospital. Soon after joining the Clinic, he took on arthritis as a subspecialty. Rheumatology as a specialty by that name was unheard of generally in private practice at that time. Working closely with Dr. H. Glenn Woody in Orthopedics, Dr. Patey became a virtual part time medical orthopedist. He kept a close eye on the Physical Therapy Department.
A charge of unethical conduct was introduced in the Sangamon County Medical Society in December 1952. The President of the Society, in accepting the charge, stated that the only way to get a ruling from the Judicial Council would be to find the Clinic guilty of unethical conduct, censure the Clinic, and let an appeal by the Clinic go on up to the Illinois State Society and the American Medical Association. The action of the Sangamon County Society was upheld by the State Society without an option.
In 1952, the Clinic began publication of the Quarterly Bulletin of the Springfield Clinic. Each issue carried an average of six articles on pertinent medical and surgical subjects, written for the bulletin by the Clinic staff. The mailing list included all practicing physicians in central and southern Illinois.
The laboratory emerged from its one room operation when the Clinic moved to the new building on 7th Street in 1952. It was doubled in size and equipment. The chief technician at that time supervised both the laboratory and X-Ray. Soon, however, the volume of procedures required the establishment of separate departments.
A pharmacy was opened in the new Clinic building in 1952. This service was owned and operated by the Clinic's landlord, a facilities corporation which was owned initially by the remaining founding partners, Dr Ennis, Eveloff and Graham.
To make peace with the Society and to avoid interference with a steadily growing referral practice, the Clinic withdrew from satellite practice in 1953. Peace it was, for in the ensuing years two more members of the Clinic were elected President of the Clinic were elected President of the Sangamon County Medical Society. Satellites were established again in 1985, without objection. In 1953, more space was added to the laboratory. Medical direction was provided initially by Dr. Pattey. After a number of years, Dr. Patey was succeeded in this role by Dr. Rohs and then Dr. Wabner and Dr David Hoelzer, respectively, when they joined the Clinic as internists.
Dr. Victor H Beinke joined the department in 1954. He graduated from University of Cincinnati College of medicine and obtained his residency training at West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park, IL and the University of Illinois Division of Mateno State Hospital at Manteno, IL. He was certified by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dr. Beinke left the Clinic for solo practice in 1962. He died in 1988.
The Clinic, which had always worked closely with other Springfield physicians, relied exclusively on urologists in solo practice until Dr. William S White joined the Clinic in 1954. Dr. White was a native of Canada and had his schooling and training in Toronto. He was the husband of the Clinic's pediatrician, Dr. Gwendolyn White. Dr. White stayed with the Clinic until 1957 when he went into solo practice. He died in 1982.
John W Montgomery began as Assistant Administrator in 1954 and succeeded Francis Wenzel as Administrator in 1963. Mr Montgomery retired at the end of 1987 and stayed on as Consultant through the transition in 1988. During his twenty-five years as Administrator, the Clinic grew from twenty to fifty physicians.
Satellites were resumed, and the number of employees increased by over one hundred people. The main campus of the Clinic now occupies an entire city block. Two remaining buildings on the block were purchased, and one lot is leased for parking. The property is now owned by the entity, Clay Scarritt, which is a partnership of physicians and some employees of the Clinic. A Family Practice facility was erected at 2200 West Wabash Avenue. Office space was leased in Sherman for two Family Practice physicians. Office space for one physician was temporarily leased at Doctors Hospital. A rehabilitation Center was in operation at 1717 South Sixth Street. Patient volume has grown by ten times since 1983.
Dr. Gwendolyn White came to the department in 1955. She is a graduate of the University of Toronto College of Medicine. Dr. White was the first practicing woman Pediatrician in Springfield to be Board Certified in Pediatrics (1961) and the first to become a Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics (1962) Dr. White was especially interested in adolescent and teenage Pediatrics. She served as Pediatric Consultant to the University of Illinois Division of Services for Crippled Children at the Springfield General Clinic and at the Pneumatics Fever Clinic at Effingham. For eight years she was in charge of the City Health Department's Well Baby Clinic in Palmer school, serving the John Hay Home Housing area. She was a member of the attending Pediatric Staff of St. John's Hospital High Risk Nursing Center.
The Clinic's first experience with Otolaryngology was in 1955 in combination with Ophthalmology. Dr. Stephen West, who had been in practice of Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat in Taylorville moved to Springfield to open the EENT Department of the Clinic. Ophthalmology was introduced to the Clinic in December 1955 by Dr Steven L West who had been practicing in Taylorville and wanted to move to a larger city. Dr West was of the "old school" trained in ophthalmology, otorhinolaryngology and endoscopy - EENT. Judged by the standards of 1989, EENT in 1955 was superficial, with little technology for diagnosis or intraocular surgery.
In 1955, in response to suggestions of some regular Clinic patients about a plan under which a budget stabilizing method of payment could be offered for services they were accustomed to receiving, a Family Periodic Payment Plan was developed. The Plan was designed to overcome the imbalance between a modest cost for medical care over considerable periods and exceptionally heavy cost at other times. The Periodic Payment Plan for the family was a method for regular, fixed payment at the end of each month for services rendered or made available during the month. It included a reduced fee schedule for dependents. Members of a family could obtain care at the Clinic at costs substantially lower than the regular fee schedule. The Plan was made available to approved families that had been patients of the Clinic before July 1, 1955. It was not offered generally.
In 1955, the Clinic negotiated a medical services contract with the United Mine Workers of America. All of the mine workers and their families were entitled to the medical and surgical services the Clinic provided. A flat sum for a prospective twelve-month period was calculated from the charges the Clinic had made for the miners and their families during the preceding twelve months. Up to the time of the agreement, regular Clinic charges had been billed on individual patients to the United Mine Workers Welfare Fund in St. Louis; they had been paid promptly. A negotiated percent of rise in utilization of services and rise in fees reasonable for the area determined the upcoming twelve months falt payment. The contract was renegotiated every six months, always amicably, for a period of six years.
In 1955 only two sections of nurses existed, the north side of the main building under Ann Hickey, RN, and the south side under Lorraine Wood, RN. Later nurses and aides were organized along departmental lines with a supervisor for each department. It became apparent in early 1955 that efficient management of the day-to-day operation of the various Clinic functions could not be the sole responsibility of one person. Accordingly, a plan for departmentalization of all functions was presented to and approved by the Finance Committee in April 1955.
Neck Surgery was performed by the General Surgeons until Dr. Rubenstein joined the Clinic in 1956 in Otolaryngology and further expanded next surgery. He acquired some of the thyroidectomy cases. Dr. Stanley A Burris, a graduate of Washington University School of Medicine, fresh from residencies in St. Louis City Hospital and Jewish Hospital in St. Louis, entered the Surgical Department in 1956. He brought Vascular Surgery with him and opened this rapidly expanding field in the Springfield area. Dr. Burris soon established a reputation in the field and made vascular operations standard fare in this region. His impressive volume of vascular surgery did not interfere with his considerable skills in general abdominal, neck and breast surgery. Dr. West moved out to solo practice in Springfield at about the same time Dr. Alan S. Rubenstein was being interviewed for Otorhinolaryngology and Neck Surgery.
Dr. Rubenstein joined the Clinic on September 17, 1956. He had been in practice in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, before transferring to the Springfield Clinic. His training at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New York City, in radical head and neck surgery and endoscopy had been extensive. He advanced the Department to encompass Otorhinoloaryngology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, Audiology and Otolaryngologic Allergy. From the start, Dr. Rubenstein made a practice of taking two or three surgical courses each year. He prefers courses rather than meetings in order to be able to concentrate on a particular subject, especially in a hands-on situation. Throughout the years, Dr. Rubenstein spent various periods of time in New York with Dr. John Conley, in head and neck surgery.
Another significant course was with Dr. Holinger in Chicago in Bronchoesophagology. In particular, the retrieval of foreign bodies caught in air and food passages was studied. Dr. Rubenstein is one of the original faculty members of SIU School of Medicine and holds the rank of Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Surgery , Division of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, at the medical school. Dr. Rubenstein worked with Dr Barnes and Dr James Graham to establish the Chest section. This section introduced Inhalation Therapy at St John's Hospital, beginning with a kind of crash cart for bedside bronchoscopy to relieve tracheal bronchial mucus and atelectasis. Inhalation Therapy is now a function of the Respiratory Therapy Department.
The Chest Section's thoracic surgery activity was the forerunner of cardiac surgery in central Illinois. Dr. West moved out of the Clinic to solo practice in September 1956. In 1956 Dr Rubenstein supplemented the service from the Otolaryngology aspect. Dr Rubenstein, in Otohinolaryngology, has paid a great deal of attention to allergy as it affects his field.
Two years later, a second dentist was added, Dr Carter Hagberg. From that time on, with the exception of three years, there were two dentists in the Department: Carl Haiser, DDS, from 1957 to 1959; C. Kirk Thibene, DDS, 1961 to 1982;Richard L Tega, DDS, from 1968 to 1979. Until 1956 the Clinic accounting system consisted of hand posted books with the only mechanized aspect of the operation being the posting of accounts receivedable. With the volume of transactions on the rise, hand posted books became unacceptably cumbersome due to the difficulties in balancing, numerous chances for errors and time consumed. Two Burroughs machines were installed and a new system which completely mechanized the Clinic accounting system was inaugurated. Computations in the ledgers were made automatically, and the number of errors was cut to an insignificant figure. It was possible to have a financial statement prepared with in 36 hours after the close of the previous month's business. The system was created and designed especially for the Springfield Clinic. The pharmacy was sold in 1956, along with the Clinic buildings, to a corporation in which all physician partners and long term employees could invest as stockholders.
Dr. H Neal Barnes was a graduate of Northwestern University Medical School. He had an internship at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, followed by a residency in Internal Medicine at Lutheran Deaconess Hospital in Chicago. Finally he served a second residency in Pulmonary Medicine at Cook County Hospital. He chose to practice this subspecialty in conjunction with Internal Medicine when he joined the Clinic.
In 1957 Dr. Barnes teamed up with Dr. James Graham for Thoracic Surgery and Doctor Rebenstein for Endoscopy to form a Thoracic Medicine and Surgery Section. Dr. Edward A Scollin joined the Surgical Department in 1957. He was a graduate of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine and had his hospital training at Maumee Valley Hospital in Toledo and the Veterans Administration Hospital in Wichita, Kansas. Dr. Scollin left the Clinic in 1958 for solo practice in surgery.
Dr. Jose L Gonzalez joined with Dr. Eveloff and Dr. White in 1957. He was Pediatrician in charge of the Pediatrics Department at the United States Naval Base in Portsmouth, NH, before coming to the clinic. Dr Neal Barnes was responsible for the Clinic's first efforts in Pulmonary Medicine. He joined with Dr. James Graham and Dr Alan Rubenstein in 1957 to form a Thoracic Medicine and Surgery Section. A further refinement was made when the Employee Council was incorporated into the Business and Personnel Committee with a partner doctor as chairman. This change took place in 1957, and the Clinic operates today in this fashion.
Dr. Lindsay left the Clinic in 1958 to join the Research Department at Eli Lilly Company in Indianapolis. He returned to Springfield later and engaged in a solo surgical practice until 1968 when he became a full time Emergency Department physician at Memorial Medical Center. Physician Assistant Nurses were introduced by the Clinic in 1958. Dr. Basilius Zaricnyj joined the Clinic. He is a graduate of University of Bonn, Germany. He served residencies in the United States in hospitals affiliated with Oklahoma University and with Northwestern University. He also had a Fellowship in Orthopedics at Northwestern University. One of Dr. Zaricnyj's many interests in Orthopedic Surgery centers on bone, joint, and ligamentous injuries related to sports, and he has done much to develop and support this field in Springfield. He left he Clinic in 1962 to establish a solo practice and later formed Springfield Orthopedic Center, on of the first full-fledged single specialty groups in the city, with the member orthopedic surgeons emphasizing various orthopedic subspecialties.
Dr. William J Conroy finished at Loyola Medical School in Chicago and then went on to hospital training at Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen park and Brooke Army Hospital, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. He was in private practice in Chicago from 1956-1959 when he came to Springfield Clinic. Dr. Conroy brought his subspecialty of diabetes with him, a field that developed over the years into a virtually full time occupation. With a strong feeling for professional relations, Doctor Conroy was the lead person of the Clinic to various group practice associations. For 16 years, 1970-1986, he was the Clinic's delegate to the American Group Practice Association. Until he retired in 1986, he was Clinical Associate Professor at SIU School of Medicine.
Dr. Rubenstein went to Memphis twice to work with Doctors Shea and Austin. Dr Shea had been developing the operation of total stapedectomy and Dr Austin was developing tympanopasty (repair of middle ears and ear drums), particularly with the use of vein graphs. On return from Memphis, Dr. Rubenstein and Dr William Weiss, a fellow Otolaryngologist in solo practice arranged for the first operation microscope in the city; this was later donated to St. John's Hospital. At that time, operation microscopes sold for $2400; today they cost $20,000 or more.
Endocrinology was initiated as a subspecialty in the Medical Department by Dr Conroy when he joined the Clinic in 1959. The base of this endeavor was diabetes, but as time passed more and more endocrine disorders, other than diabetes came his way. He trained the nurses and aides attached to his section in handling the special aspects of diabetic management. In the next year, the Clinic buildings and the equipment that were owned by Dr Ennis, Eveloff and Graham as the South Springfield Company were sold to a new corporation, in which all partners and eventually the employees could invest.
Speech therapy was introduced into clinical practice by Dr. Rubenstein and Virginia Lee. Mrs. Lee also did audiology. A sound room was constructed in 1960. Audiology has been a regular service in the Department since that time, and the facilities for diagnosing and treating a wide number of hearing problems have continually been improved and advanced.
The Eye department was vacant for four years until Dr Michael Walsh took over in 1960. Dr Walsh was a native of Ireland and had attended the Medical College of the University of Galway. His hospital training was in the United States at St Mary's Group of Hospitals and St John's Mercy Hospital in St. Louis. The Department progressed nicely for four years under Dr Walsh. The laboratory received a State license as an independent laboratory in the late 1960s. In order to assure quality, the Clinic sought a Director certified by the American Board of Pathology. Through negotiations between Dr John Allen and Dr Grant Johnson, Chairman of the Department of Laboratory Medicine at Memorial Hospital, Dr John Dietrich was assigned to serve as Director of the Clinic laboratory.
In 1960 the Clinic initiated the Nurse Physician Assistant concept in the city. A nurse who worked with the physician or surgeon in the Clinic and/or in the operating suites would make daily hospital rounds with the physician, or in his stead. She could make notes in the charts, leave orders on the physician's instructions, see new admissions and discharge patients. The system established a comforting continuity for the patient and a sense of readier access indirectly to the patient. The Nurse Assistant or Nurse Associate concept grew rapidly from a solely assistant relationship to the current concept of the nurse practitioner in collaborative practice with the physician, both in the hospitals and in the Clinic.
Dr. Barnes moved to Florida in 1961 for solo practice of Internal Medicine. Dr. Edward J Budil, a Harvard Medical School graduate who completed a Surgical Residency at Barnes Hospital, came to the Clinic in 1961. He quickly added to the Clinic's already considerable prestige in vascular surgery with aortoiliac endarterectomies, Fogarty catheter extractions of emboli, and peritoneovenous shunts. With Dr. Jack Baldwin, he helped organized the first Burn Unit at Memorial Medical Center. He helped run the unit as Co-Director for several years.
Dr. Robert R Fahringer joined with Dr Ennis and Beinke in 1961, but he too felt the call of solo practice and left in 1963 to set up his own office from which he retired in 1987.
Dr. Ennis and Dr. Beinke were selected by G.D. Serle company to pursue a clinical study of the drug Flagyl (matronidazole) prior to the submission of the company's final report to the Federal Food and Drug Administration. Both Doctors reported that problem cases fell into two disparate groups, 1- Pregnant women and 2-prostitutes. The thalidomide incident at the time made the Food and Drug Administration shaky about the release of new drugs, particularly drugs used during pregnancy. The Welfare Fund changed direction in 1961. The contract antedated by 30 years the next health maintenance organizations in Springfield: Unity, ProCare, and total Health Care. Since there inception, the HMO's have struggled and have scaled back.
The joint effort of Dr. Montgomery and Dr. Graham antedated sophisticated cardiac surgery in Springfield and initiated the interest that led to the search for a cardiologist and then a cardiac surgeon in 1962.
Dr Patey obtained a license in 1962 for testing and treating hyperthyroidism with radioactive iodine. He did radioactive vitamin B 12 studies for pernicion anemia and radioactive fat studies for fat absorption. He was a Clinical Associate in the Department of Medicine at SIU School of Medicine. Dr. Patey retired from practice in 1988.
Dr. Haydee Kimmich associated with the Orthopedic Department in 1962. She was the first women orthopedic surgeon to practice in Springfield and the first surgeon in the area to emphasize Hand Surgery as a major subspecialty. She and her husband, Dr Homer Kimmich, in Head and Neck Surgery, withdrew from the Clinic to set up their own office in 1964. Dr. Homer Kimmich was with the Department from 1962 to 1964. He withdrew in 1964 and with Dr Haydee Kimmich opened a private medical office in the city.
Dr Montgomery and Dr Graham, who had been using internal mammary artery ligation and pericardial poudrage to enhance myocardial vascularization, recognized that with the great strides being made in cardiac physiology and cardiac surgery there simple attempts were ineffective and far from the van-guard. The Clinic would have to do better than that. Although it was the general opinion in Springfield that the city was too small and too far from teaching centers to even consider cardiac surgery, the two doctors thought otherwise. They interviewed cardiac surgeons coming out of training in Cleveland, Houston and the Mayo Clinic. Late 1962, Recruitment brought Dr Paul E Smalley, fresh out of the University of Cincinnati, the Lahey Clinic, and New England Deaconess Hospital. Doctor Smalley saw the potential. Organizing the hospitals for cardiac catheterization, acquiring the necessary equipment, and training personnel kept Dr Smalley busy for the better part of a year.
Dr. Charles N Wasilewski open the Department of Dermatology in the Clinic in 1962. His stay, however, was short because he and his wife, having come from the eastern part of the United States, preferred the mountains to the midwestern plains. Dr and Mrs. Wasilewski left for the East in 1963.
Dr. Dietrich served in this capacity from 1972 until the duties were taken over by Dr Travis Hindman of Memorial Medical Center in 1986. Dr. Hindman is a graduate of the University of Illinois College of Medicine. He served his residency in the Southern Illinois University affiliated hospitals. His special interests are cytopathology, gynecologic pathology and autopsy pathology. Dr. Joan Barenfanger is associated with Dr. Hindman. She is a graduate of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and served her residency in the SIU affiliated hospitals. Her special interests are virology, microbiology, infectious disease and autopsy pathology.
Physical Therapy at Springfield Clinic began January 2, 1962, in a storeroom area of about 9 x 24 feet, curtained off into several sections. Charles Argenta was the therapist. For the most part, the treatments were confined to diathermy, whirlpool, massage, manipulation, and exercisers. He left the clinic in 1969. He was followed by Marlene Hudson, a registered Physical Therapist who received her training at Eastern Illinois University and Washington University. Prior to joining the Clinic, she had been in Physical Therapy at St John's Hospital.
BIMAL, pericardial poudrage, and patent ductus ligation were as close to cardiac surgery as the Clinic got until Dr. Paul Smalley and Dr. Robert Harp joined the Clinic in cardiology and cardiac surgery in 1963. There was enough thoracic surgery to give Dr. Harp, fresh from Mayo Clinic training, a running start when he joined the Surgical Department for Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery in 1963.
Dr. Nicholas A Kabalin succeeded Dr. White but remained for less than a year, again leaving a lapse in the Department until Dr. Victor F Trautmann reopened it in 1963. During his 15 years with the Clinic, Dr. Trautmann developed a large following. In addition to being a highly competent urologist in both open and closed surgery, he had an unusually warm and considerate manner that cemented his patients' loyalty to him. Dr. Trautmann served as one of the visionary forces behind the establishment of the Foundation for Medical Care of Central Illinois, which still serves as the largest independent practice associations in downstate Illinois. He left the Clinic for solo practice in 1978.
Doctor Robert A Harp arrived after finishing his Fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. Dr Harp was encouraged and had financial help of the Sisters of St. John's Hospital and a generous friend of the hospital, spend the next six months acquiring equipment, outfitting an operating suite, training personnel, and establishing a pig laboratory. He trained Fenner Sutton, a laboratory technician at the Clinic, to run the by-pass pump. Dr. Graham turned his thoracic surgery over to Dr Harp. The vascular surgeons, Dr Burris and Budil were ready to assist.
The Payment Plan was discontinued in 1963 partly because it was not pushed or marketed.
Rolland Justison began as x-ray technician in 1963; he is still with the Clinic twenty-six years later. He trained an aide who worked in the darkroom.
Dr. Robert T Maletich became associated in Obstetrics and Gynecology. He was a graduate of University of Indiana School of Medicine. He served his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Barnes-Jewish Allied Hospital Group in St Louis. Dr. Maletich had been in practice in St Louis before moving to Springfield. He maintained a very active practice at the Clinic until he retired in 1987. Dr. Woody managed along until 1965 when Dr. Walter P Baisier joined the Orthopedic Department. In 1964 Dr Walsh decided he would like to try solo practice and he moved to his own office.
Dr. White left the Clinic in 1965 to open her solo practice and retired in 1986. Dr. Baisier joined the Clinic. He was a graduate from the University of Louvain, Belgium. He completed his residency in Orthopedics at the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Memorial Hospital in Boston.
Dr. Braisier introduced laminar airflow operating suites in the Springfield hospitals prior to opening the field of joint replacement. He performed the first hip and knee replacements in the area. He was one of the early advocates and users of arthroscopy. He also has worked extensively in spinal surgery. In 1965, the Illinois Board of Higher Education was faced with a large proportion of graduates of the University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago going into the medical and surgical specialties rather than general practice; many left Illinois to practice in other states. As a solution, the Board recommended to the Legislature the establishment of two medical schools downstate, one in Springfield affiliated with Southern Illinois University and the other in Peoria affiliated with the University of Illinois College of Medicine.
Rolland recalls the installation of a film processor in 1965. Up to that time, the hand processed films were passed through the washer and dryer. To speed up patient service, the wet films would be taken out to the doctor so he could show them to the patient. Then the films, usually streaked after going to the doctor, were returned to the dryer. This added up to thirty to forty-five minutes by the time the films were dry. The processor reduced the time to seven minutes. A new Kodak processor reduced the time to three-and a-half minutes, as compared with ninety seconds today. There are now two processing units.
Dr Smith retired from the Clinic in 1966.
Dr. John L Allen, a graduate of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, brought the fruits of the New York Presbyterian Medical Center residency program to the Surgical Department in 1966.
The Clinic opened Hematology and Oncology in 1966 as a separate section in the Medical Department under Dr Charles I Wabner, who joined the Clinic that year to introduce the specialty to the Springfield area. Dr. Wabner had his residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Louisville Hospitals. This was followed by a Fellowship and Faculty membership in Hematology and Oncology at Ohio State University. Under Dr. Wabner, Hematology and Oncology grew rapidly as a specialty in Springfield. Dr Wabner did the first continuous infusion for chemotherapy in 1966. He helped organize the first Oncology Unit at Memorial Medical Center.
Dr. Ennis died in 1967.
Dr John Spangler joined in 1967 and remained with the Clinic until 1972 when he moved to Honolulu. Dr. Spangler was a graduate of Indiana University School of Medicine. He served his residency at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis and at Michael Reese Hospital in Chicago. Image intensifying units replaced the old fluoroscopic screens in 1967. This eliminated the need for Radiologists and personnel to adapt the eyes for the darkroom by wearing red goggles. With an intensifier, the fluoroscope could be used in subdued light. Mr Justison recalled, "Every time you turned on the lights, you had to put on the red googles. This scared the children."
Dr. Henry F Rohs, a graduate of St. Louis University School of Medicine came to the Clinic in 1968. He had trained at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and was especially interested in critical care. Active in the civic life of Springfield, Dr. James Graham served as President of the United Way, was a Director of the First National Bank, was chosen Copley First Citizen in 1968 and appointed to the Board of Directors of St John's Hospital in 1983.
Dr Allen of the Clinic Surgery Department performed Springfield's first vascular access procedure in 1968.
Dr Bilinsky came to Springfield in 1968 as consultant in Nephrology at Memorial Medical Center, advancing to Director, Division of Nephrology in 1974. He directed the first local and regional Hemodialysis Program in Central Illinois and participated in the first renal transplant in Springfield in 1970. He designed an developed satellite dialysis facilities in Alton, Quincy, Mattoon, Effingham, Jacksonville, Decatur, and Springfield. In addition, he designed and implemented clinical computer programs for management of dialysis patient treatment and clinical information. He is Clinical Associate in Internal Medicine at SIU Medical School. He has published extensively, listing twenty-seven articles and presentations at the state and national levels.
The two large, high volume hospitals in Springfield were considered adequate for clinical teaching of students and for residency programs, and in this capacity for serving jointly as the equivalent of a University teaching hospital; this was a plus for Springfield. Joint discussions toward a common goal were initiated in late 1968 among the three participating institutions: Southern Illinois University, St. John's Hospital and Memorial Hospital (later to become Memorial Medical Center).
The Clinic Neurology Department was opened in 1969 by Dr Wesley L Betsill who had his initial training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and finished with a Neurology Residency at the Medical College of South Carolina. Dr Betsill was the first Clinical Neurologist in the Springfield area. Prior to the time Dr Betsill joined the Clinic, all of the internists handled neurology; none of them considered it as a subspecialty.
With the change to one vote for each partner, the partnership agreement provided for the election of a Planning Committee, with the founding partners remaining on the committee as voting members. By 1969 the founding partners were in the minority as the Planning Committee enlarged. The Planning Committee became an executive committee responsible to the partnership.
Dr. Donald R. Graham came from the Centers for Disease Control in 1980 to establish the Division of Infectious Diseases in the Clinic. A graduate from Washington University School of Medicine, he served a residency in Internal Medicine at Jewish Hospital in St. Louis and then a Fellowship in Infectious Diseases at Washington University Hospital(Barnes, Jewish, and Veterans Hospitals). From there he went to Atlanta, GA, to service as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer and in the Hospital Infections Branch of the Centers for Disease Control. Dr. Graham introduced Springfield to the Epidemiologic Method for Investigation of Disease Cluster in hospitals and other institutions. He was not long in gaining the confidence of Springfield physicians, in and out of the Clinic, in the role of an Infectious Disease specialist in the management of multisystem illness. Diseases such as AIDS, Toxic Shock Syndrome, Campylobacteriosis, delta hepatitis, Legionellosis, have entered medical parlance in this very brief time.
In 1980, a Dietetics subsection was added.
A continuing Education program for nurses and other area medical personnel was instituted. Seminars are conducted by the professional staff of the Clinic and are help from 7PM to 8PM in the main reception area of the Clinic.
By 1980, two full time computer programmers, Ken Cardoni and Gary Hudelson, were in the Clinic's employ. The Clinic now has two Certified Public Accountants on staff full time.
Dr Keith Henry, a native of Springfield and a son of Dr William Henry of the Franklin Life Insurance Company Medical Department, joined the Clinic in 1981 after serving his residency in Internal Medicine at Barnes Hospital. He left in 1983 to pursue subspecialty training in Infectious Diseases at the University of Minnesota, where he now directs the acquired immono-deficiency syndrome (AIDS) clinical treatment unit.
Dr. Pilapil is a Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. In addition to Pediatric Cardiology, Dr. Pilapil carried on a general practice of Pediatrics. He left the Clinic in March 1981 to enter solo practice.
Dr. Thomas E Baron opened the Department again in 1981. He had finished at the University of Illinois College of Medicine in 1972 and had served his Urology Residency at the same institution form 1972 to 1977. He moved to Springfield after practicing in the "Kidney Stone Belt" of North Carolina for four years. The Department again expanded rapidly under his direction. He introduced in Springfield the Stamey procedure for incontinence; he was among the first to use extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). Dr. Baron is Clinical Associate Professor of Urology at SIU and is coordinator of the ESWL center at Memorial Medical Center.
Dr James D Rogers joined the Clinic in Cardiovascular Surgery.By 1981, patient volume had increased sufficiently to support a third Colon & Rectal surgeon. Dr John D Zander came to the Clinic from his Fellowship in Colon, Rectal and Anal Surgery at the Ferguson Hospital and Clinic in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He has particular interests in gastrointestinal stapling as applied to surgery of the colon and rectum and in the increasing surgical use of the colonoscope.
Dr. W Gerald Klingler joined with Dr Kumar in Dermatology in 1981. He is a University of Michigan Medical School graduate and served his Dermatology Residency at the University of North Carolina and the National Cancer Institute at the National Institutes of Health. He offered skin cancer screening to the public at no charge and has made special use of cryosurgery for skin cancer control. He is Clinical Assistant Professor in the medical school.
Don Vasterling died suddenly in 1981. His wife Mary, who was working as a therapist part time, stepped in to guide the department for several months until Linda Crews took over from April 1981 to December 1982.
Dr. Charles R. Potter joined the Clinic in 1982. He was a graduate of Washington University School of Medicine and he trained at Jewish Hospital and at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. He introduced spetoplasty and septorhinoplasty, done without nasal packing; this provides for an immediate postoperative airway and greatly reduces postoperative pain.
Dr Patey's interest and effort in collagen and rheumatoid diseases, date back to 1954 as a subspecialty, were formalized in the Clinic when Doctor Mark A. Stern opened the Division of Rheumatology in 1982. Dr Stern is a graduate of the Indiana University School of Medicine and took his Internal Medicine and Rheumatology training at St. Louis University. He served on their faculty for two years.
By and large, it appeared that each dentist, after a short or long time, decided he would prefer to practice solo or with a dental group. Although the Dental Department operated successfully, and the medical doctors and dentists got along well as partners and business associates, there was not sufficient crossover diagnosis and treatment to create a close mix. The department closed with the death of Dr. Thieben in 1982.
By the time Thomas Byrne came to the Physical Therapy Department in January 1982, the demand for rehabilitation and physical therapy had increased considerably, due in no small measure to the development of the Rheumatology section. Byrne earned a Bachelor's degree in Physical Therapy at the University of Illinois. He followed this with clinical training at Children's Development Center in Rockford, Mercy Hospital in Champaign, and at Memorial Medical Center and St. Johns Hospital in Springfield. He was a member of the staff at St Johns Hospital.
Dr. Richard Snowden, a graduate of SIU School of Medicine and Residency program, joined the Medical Department of the Clinic from 1983 to 1985, when he returned to his native Mattoon to being solo practice.
Charles E Swain, Jr, PhD, has been part of the Clinic Audiologists in the Department of Otolaryngology since 1983. A member of the American Speech and Hearing Association, he holds the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech Pathology. He established a hearing aid service in which the Audiologist dispense hearing aids directly to the patient on recommendation of an Otolaryngologist.
Dr Rogers introduced the surgical technique of cold cardioplegia, and he placed the first diaphragmatic pacer in a quadriplegic person with a C1-C2 paralysis in 1983. The arterial diaphragmatic pacing apparatus was flown in from Yale University where Dr Rogers had trained.Dr Kelvin van Osdol was also with the clinic for a short period. He moved before Dr Madison to a cardiology group in Springfield and then to a cardiology group to Springfield, MO.
Dr. Graham retired from clinical practice in 1983, but he remains an active author and a consultant to the State of Illinois Division of Rehabilitation, the Illinois Department Public Aid, and the Illinois Bureau of Long Term Care. He is a member of the Board of Directors of St. John's Hospital.
By 1983, patients were being taught to measure blood glucose levels at home, which aided greatly in their diabetic control.
Dr. Cary Tauchman joined the Pediatric Department in 1984 after training at the SIU affiliated Hospitals, St. John's and Memorial Medical Center. He moved to Wisconsin to join a single specialty group in 1985.
Dr. Daniel M Adair associated with the Clinic in 1984, the year Dr. Woody retired. Dr. Adair attended SIU School of Medicine, served his Orthopedic residency at Bowman Gray in North Carolina and practiced for two years at the Physicians Group before joining the Clinic. He founded the Sports Medicine Program at Humana Hospital and now directs the Sports Care Program at Memorial Medical Center. He is a Clinical Associate Professor at SIU.
Dr. Smith elected for a hospital based practice and joined with the Gastroenterology group at St. John's Hospital.
Dr Rogers moved to Springfield, MO in 1984.
Dr Wabner accepted the position of full time Medical Director at the same institution, which required his withdrawal from the clinic.
The SIU School of Medicine Television Department, in 1984, co-produced with Dr Eusebio a video on "Parasacral Approach to Lesions of the Proximal Rectum."
On display in the reception areas and in consultation and examining rooms are various publications that have been written by the Clinic staff in the field of health education. Since 1984, the Clinic has offered videotapes describing common diseases and operative procedures. Topics range from AIDS to prostate surgery; tapes may be viewed at the Clinic or at home. Educational articles written by Clinic physicians now circulate to patients in a monthly "Newsletter" that is included with all billings. Inaugurated in 1984, each symposium has a theme, high-lighted by nationally known speakers in the field and supported by local and regional speakers, including those from the Clinic and Southern Illinois University of Medicine. The "Employee of the Month" award began in 1984 under the aegis of Planning Committee Chairman Keith Wichterman, MD. Time clocks, identification badges, and a uniform dress code were introduced in 1988.
Three physicians, Dr. Michael Bradley, Dr. Randolph W Roller and Dr. J Michael Zinzilieta, joined the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of the Clinic as a group in March 1985. All three trained at the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine affiliated hospitals. Each is a Clinical Assistant Professor at SIU.
Dr Baron was ready for help by 1985, at which time he brought in Dr. David A Roszhart who is a graduate of SIU School of Medicine and who had served his residency in Urology in the SIU program at St John's Hospital and Memorial Medical Center. Dr. Roszhart was well known to the Clinic staff when he joined. He is a Clinical Associate Professor.
Timothy Edwards, OD, joined the Eye Department in 1985. Dr Edwards received his OD degree from Indiana University in 1982.
The Hematology and Oncology Section was not vacant for long after Dr Wabner accepted the Medical Directorship at Memorial Medical Center, for Dr Edward L Braud came to the Clinic from a solo practice in Alton in January 1985 to continue the section. Dr Braud is a graduate from Louisiana State University School of Medicine and served his Internal Medicine Residency and Fellowship in Hematology/Oncology at Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center. He is Chairman of Memorial Medical Center Cancer Committee and Director of the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. Dr. Braud is a Clinical Associate in the medical school.
Dr Karen L Hoelzer followed soon, joining Dr Braud in July 1985. She completed her work at St Louis University Hospitals. She is a Clinical Associate at SIU.
Dr Elizabeth Small associated with the Clinic in Dermatology in 1985. She is a graduate of John Hopkins University School of Medicine and completed her residency in Dermatology at Johns Hopskins in 1981. She was a solo practitioner in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, from 1981 to 1986. Dr Small is a Clinical Associate Professor. Her special interests are in photoaging, adult acne and sclerotherapy of spider veins. She left the clinic at the end of 1988.
In 1985, Three physicians in Family Practice, Geoffrey Bland, Joseph Cerbin, and Virginia Wade joined the clinic as a group. Together with the Clinic, they constructed a satellite Clinic Building at the southwest corner of the city. Dr. Cerbin left for a practice in Michigan and later to manage a satellite office for the South Bend Clinic. Dr. Bland is a graduate of Dalhousie University School of Medicine in Halifax, Nova Scotia. He completed his residency training in the Halifax hospitals: Victoria General, Grace Maternity Hospital, and Izaak Walton Killam Hospital for Children. He is Clinical Assistant Professor at SIU School of Medicine. Dr. Wade is a graduate of Albany Medical College. She served her residency in the SIU Family Practice programs at St John's Hospital and Memorial Medical Center. She is a Clinical Instructor at SIU.
Dr. Scott A Morton joined with Dr Bland and Dr Wade at the Wabash Family Practice Center. Dr Morton is a Springfield native and a graduate of SIU School of Medicine, as well as the SIU Family Practice residency program in SIU affiliated hospitals. He is a Clinical Instructor at the school.
Two physicians, Dr Cameron C Olson and Kenneth DeVries, established the Family Practice Center in Sherman in 1985. Both physicians were natives of Canada and came to Springfield to practice in Humana Hospital in 1982. Dr DeVries left for Wisconsin in 1986. Dr Olson practices part time at the main campus of the Clinic in Springfield.
Dr. Mark A Pierce joined with Dr Graham in the Infectious Disease section in 1985 and left in 1987 for further graduate work at the University of Alabama.
Within 3 years, Dr Stern needed help. Recruitment brought Dr Michael A. Pick from solo practice on January 2, 1985. Dr Pick was well acquainted with the Springfield Clinic. Having attended Southern Illinois University of Medicine in Springfield, he continued his graduate and residency training in the medical school associated hospitals, St. John's and Memorial Medical Center. He served his Rheumatology Fellowship at Los Angeles County Medical Center. He is Clinical Associate Professor at SIU.
The Endocrine section was ready for more help in 1985. Dr. David Hoelzer was recruited and joined the department. A Biology graduate of Colgate University, Dr. Hoelzer obtained his Medical degree from St. Louis University. He served an Internal Medicine residency at St. Louis University hospital and followed this with a Fellowship in Endocrinology and Metabolism at Barnes Hospital in St. Louis. He serves as Clinical Assistant Professor at SIU. Following in the footsteps of Doctor Dilts, he founded and currently directs the Optifast Obesity Management Center at St. John's Hospital.The Bulletin employs a managing editor and carries commercial advertising. Successive editors have been Dr James Graham, Virgilio Pilapil, and co-editors Ernesto Eusebio and Donald E Graham. Listing in the Index Medicus is pending. The Bulletin adheres to the policies of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, of which the Clinic has been a member since 1985.
Since 1985, the school has had a 4-year curriculum. The large number of Board certified and Board eligible physicians in Springfield made this a feasible program. The largest attendance was 115, at the 1985 conference on malpractice prevention, sponsored jointly by the Clinic and the Illinois State Medical Society. In 1985, the Springfield Clinic Building Corporation sold its assets to the Clay Scarritt Partnership, which now owns all of the Clinic buildings and equipment.
A search committee was formed in 1985 to seek a new Administrator to replace John Montgomery who had announced plans to retire at age 65. Mr J Michael Maynard was selected and he joined the Clinic in February 1987.In 1985, the pharmacy was transferred to a successor organization, the Clay Scarritt Partnership.
Dr. Cynthia Wait, who had completed her Fellowship in Gastroenterology at Cook County Hospital, became the first woman gastroenterologist in Springfield in 1986. She enjoyed enormous popularity among her patients, including children, one of her special interests. In 1987 she married and joined her husband in Waukegan, WI.
Dr Robert E Finch, JR, in 1986, came to the Clinic ENT/Head and Neck Department form a solo practice in Colorado and then in Springfield. He is a graduate of the University of Alabama School of Medicine in Birmingham. He served his General Surgery internship at St Louis University and his residency in Otolaryngology at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. He also served a Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Wisconsin. Dr. Finch was the first to perform sinus endoscopy in SPringfield. He was also the first to use YAG lasers to treat telangiectasia in the head and neck of patients with Osler-Weber-Rendu syndrome. In 1986 he was named Clinical Attending Surgeon of the year by the SIU surgical residents.
Dr Claude J Fortin was with the Neurology Department for a short time, July 1986 to May 1987. He left the Clinic to join with Dr. Donald Pearson, neurosurgeon, to form a Neurology/Neurosurgery team.
Dr Kumar resigned from the clinic in 1986.In 1986, Dr Graham served for five weeks with the Department of Medicine at Hospital Albert Schweitzer in Deschapelles, Haiti. There, he assisted in the organization of an infection control program.
X-rays were taken there in the same fashion as they had been at the Clinic in 1940. In July of 1986,
Mary Stewart, RN, assumed the responsibilities of Nursing Coordinator in addition to her duties as office nurse for one of the surgeons. In the fall of the year, Mary realized her own family would be increasing, and she wished to lesson her Clinic responsibilities. The duties of Nursing Coordinator were then assumed by Lynda England, RN.
Dr. Terry Jones joined the Clinic in 1987, after having practiced with Dr Ann Pearson in the Medical Group from 1985 to 1987. He graduated from SIU School of Medicine and served his residency at St. John's Hospital and Memorial Medical Center. He is a Clinical Instructor in the medical school.
Two years later, Dr Ernest E Ertmoed and Dr. John C Young, who had practiced Obstetrics and Gynecology in their office one-half block south of the Clinic, joined their practice with the Clinic but maintained their separate office. Dr. Ertmoed received his medical degree from Northwestern University and served his residency at the SIU hospitals, St John's and Memorial Medical Center. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor. Dr. Young is a founding member of the Care Center of Springfield, a ten-year old organization to battle the stubbornly high infant mortality in IL, together with the high teenage pregnancy rates, and to link indigent women with appropriate medical care and other needed resources.
Dr Wabner held the position until 1987 when he returned to the Hematology and Oncology in the Clinic. Dr Wabner is Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at SIU. Nephrology in the Clinic expanded when Dr. Richard T Bilinsky associated in 1987. He served at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center in Chicago.
Dr Michael J Wilson associated with the Family Practice Department of the Clinic in 1987. He served his residency in Family Practice in the SIU Program, then practiced with the Christian County Medical Clinic in Taylorville before joining the Springfield Clinic.
Dr James Stegeman, another graduate of the SIU Family Practice program, joined the satellite on Wabash Avenue by way of the Carle Clinic in Urbana, Illinois, where he had been a co-developer of several clinical projects: an Occupational Medicine program, the first Critical Incident Debriefing Team in Illinois, and certain objective quality assurance tools for physicians. He is a Clinical Instructor in the medical school.
Dr Ronald Mings, of St. Louis University and Jewish Hospital in St Louis, joined the Clinic with practice limited to adult and pediatric Allergy. Active in lecturing and publishing while with the Clinic staff, Dr Mings was Clinical Associate with the medical school. In the interval between his Internal Medicine residency and his Allergy Fellowship, he had practiced Internal Medicine for eight years in West Frankfort, Il. He returned to his home area of southern Illinois in December 1988, when he joined the Carbondale Clinic.
To solve problems of space and additional equipment, a satellite Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy Center was opened in 1987. This is located six blocks south of the Clinic. Most patients are seen initially on referral in the Physical Therapy section in the main Clinic building. Follow-up visits are scheduled for the satellite. The Rehabilitation Center offers one of the most inclusive and finest therapy programs in the area. The number of therapy procedures is now in the range of 110 daily.
In a reorganization of the Clinic administration in 1987, Betty Green moved out of the area of nursing to become the Systems Coordinator. Lynda England was appointed Nursing Director. Under Lynda's guidance, nursing involvement and communication have expanded through an elected Nursing Representative Committee. Lynda has also put emphasis on the quality of nursing service by the creation of standardized nursing procedures and Clinic-wide cardiac emergency capabilities.
With the expansion of the Clinic to the many satellite locations, the need for direct contract of Nursing Administration with all departments increased. The position of Assistant Nursing Director was created to coordinate all of the satellite personnel and procedures. Suzanne Havey, RN, was appointed to this position.
Mr J Michael Maynard joined the Clinic as the new Administrator. Mr Maynard holds two Master's degrees from Marshall University in Huntington, WV, one with a Major in Management and another with a Major in Accounting. He served as Administrator in the Medical Arts Clinic of Dixon, Illinois, from 1980 to 1987. He established in Dixon a marketing oriented strategy of three satellite clinics with two more satellites in the development stage at the time he came to the Springfield Clinic.
Dr. Gary Shull joined the department in 1989. He is a graduate of the University of Chicago School of Medicine and served his residency in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. Dr. Shull had practiced in Decatur and Indianapolis before joining the Clinic. Dr. Eveloff retired from practice in September 1988 after a very long and distinguished career.The Care Center received the Illinois State Medical Society's top Non-physician Award for 1988.
In July, Dr Tammie A Klein associated with the Department on the main Clinic campus. She served her residency at SIU affiliated hospitals, St John's and Memorial Medical Center.
Dr. Mark A Harrison joined the Clinic in Gastroenterology in 1988. He received his medical degree from the University of Missouri and served an internship and then a residency in Internal Medicine at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. These were followed by a Fellowship in Gastroenterology at the same institution. He is a Clinical Instructor in Gastroenterology in SIU School of Medicine. He has special interests in laparoscopic liver biopsy and esophageal manometry.
In 1988, in addition to his full practice in Cardiology, Dr Panepinto served as President of the Sangamon County Medical Society.
Dr Eric P Lohse joined with Dr Kwedar and Dr Kinser in July 1988. Dr Lohse a native to Dixon, Illinois, received his undergraduate and medical school training at Northwestern University in Chicago as a participant in the special six-year Honors Program in Medical Education. Subsequently, Dr. Lohse completed his Ophthalmology residency at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago and finally did a Fellowship in Corneal Transplantation Surgery. Refractive Surgery and External Diseases of the Eye at Washington University/Barnes Hospital in St Louis before coming to the Clinic. Dr. Lohse did the first corneal transplant in the city of Springfield on August 24, 1988. Prior to this time, patients had to travel to Chicago or St Louis for corneal transplantation.
Dr Susan Strow Stegeman, a native of Springfield and a graduate of SIU School of Medicine, joined the clinic in 1988 from a private practice in Springfield. She had served her Ophthalmology residency at the University of Alabama Hospitals in Birmingham.
The entire Ophthalmology Department moved to the Clinic's newest office in the second floor of St John's Hospital Pavilion and opened a fully modern set of operating suites, along with an advanced Optical Shop, featuring video instructional tapes for patients.
In 1988, Dr Graham worked at the Hospital Tony Facio Castro in Limon, Costa Rica, along with a 36-person delegation from the Illinois Volunteer Optometrists Service to Humanity.
Dr. William Putman, a graduate of Creighton University School of Medicine, joined with Dr. Young and Dr. Ertmoed in July 1989. He served his residency at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals.
In May, 1989, Dr. Baron completed his studies for the MBA at the University of Illinois in Urbana.
Dr. Alec Chan-Pong joined as the 3rd member of the department. He served his residency at the University of Wisconsin and his Fellowship at the University of Vermont.
Dr Daniel Dodwell, a retinal surgeon, joined the staff of the Ophthalmology department in 1989. He is a graduate of the University of Massachusetts School of Medicine and served residencies in the Massachusetts Medical Center, Northwestern University Hospitals in Chicago, the McGaw Medical Center in Chicago and the Lakeside Veterans Administration Hospital in Evenston.
Dr Donald Van Fossan joined Dr Betsill in the Neurology Department in 1989. Dr Van Fossan was a graduate from St Louis University School of Medicine and served his residency in Neurology at the University of California in Davis.
Dr. Roger Harvey joined the Division in 1986. He is a graduate of the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, IA. Dr. Harvey served a residency in Internal Medicine at Western Reserve Care System in Youngstown, OH and a Fellowship in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Detroit Medical Center, Wayne State University.
On May 1st, 1989, an affiliation was accomplished between the Springfield Clinic and the Hillsboro Medical Center.
The staff in Hillsboro includes: Dr. Barbara Mulch who was a graduate from the University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, and served her residency in Internal Medicine at Ohio State University Hospitals; Dr. Walter Williams who is a graduate of St. Louis University School of Medicine and served his residency at St. John's Mercy Hospital in St. Louis; Dr Douglas Byers who is a graduate of Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and who served his residency in Family Practice at St. Joseph's Hospital in Manson City, IA; Dr. Robert Mulch who graduated from Rush Medical School in Chicago and served his residency in Family Practice at Riverside Methodist Hospital in Columbus, OH. Hillsboro Medical Center, now joined with Springfield Clinic, serves satellite medical offices in Raymond and Greenville, IL.
Springfield Clinic’s leadership was quick to recognize the value of an internal referral network, particularly in light of the expanding popularity of Health Maintenance Organizations (HMOs) in the commercial insurance marketplace and the mounting importance of communication and coordination between family physician and specialist. For a decade or more, Springfield Clinic’s partnership grew dramatically, as it strategically affiliated with well-established smaller group practices throughout Springfield and the central Illinois region. Offices in Hillsboro, Jacksonville, Lincoln, Decatur and Taylorville were established during this time. Advancements in technology created greater opportunity for outpatient surgical procedures and in 1994, Springfield Clinic opened its Ambulatory Surgery Center, the first freestanding surgical center in central Illinois. Major enhancements to the Clinic’s computer and billing systems loaded the spring for the technology boom the organization would experience.
The first ten years of the new millennium will undoubtedly be remembered for the number of major projects completed, the level of technology achieved and the speed at which they were implemented.
Technology at Springfield Clinic took a giant leap forward with the full implementation of an integrated Electronic Health Record system in 2008. The project, which took years of planning and implementation, completely replaced traditional paper charts and revolutionized the delivery and quality of health care in Central Illinois. The accomplishment placed Springfield Clinic among the top 4% of multi-specialty clinics in the country to have successfully implemented a comprehensive electronic health record system.
Improved technology in imaging led to the addition of a 16-slice CT, the first digital fluoroscopy unit, Nuclear Medicine, PACS (an image management system), digital mammography, a 3.0 tesla MRI and digital x-ray at each and every Springfield Clinic location.
Major construction projects resulted in more than 300,000 square feet of new medical office space for Springfield Clinic physicians and staff. Springfield Clinic 1st, completed in the spring of 2006, brought specialists, particularly surgeons, under the same roof and in proximity to both Springfield’s hospitals.
A $40 million expansion and renovation of Springfield Clinic’s Main Campus was completed in fall of 2008, further consolidating specialty groups and providing room for additional growth. The construction also included an expansion of the Ambulatory Surgery and Endoscopy Center which currently offers five full suites for outpatient surgery and four endoscopy procedure rooms.
A new 40,000 square foot medical office building in Taylorville, opened in summer 2009 and was officially dedicated on November 1, 2009. The new facility consolidated Christian County Medical Clinic, Taylorville Medical Associates and various specialty outreach locations in the community.
Springfield Clinic Lincoln, a similar development project in Lincoln, Illinois was launched in June of 2009 with an official groundbreaking ceremony. The construction is being completed in cooperation with Memorial Health System and will include a new medical office building, adjacent to the new Lincoln Memorial Hospital, for the providers of Lincoln Health Care Specialists, the local Springfield Clinic affiliate. Completion is tentatively scheduled for February of 2011.
Ever committed to serving the needs of its patients, Springfield Clinic continued its focus on the quality and service. For the 7th consecutive audit, Springfield Clinic received the highest accreditation possible through AAAHC, the Association for Accreditation in Ambulatory Health Care. A Learning Center was established and formal service training initiatives were implemented for all staffing levels.
In an effort to provide its patients with therapies from the leading edge of medical science, Springfield Clinic formally created a Research Department in 2003. Springfield Clinic physicians have served as investigators on more than 270 trials to date and have been nationally recognized for their participation in ground-breaking medical research.
With more than 375 physicians and mid-level providers, practicing in nearly 80 medical specialties and sub-specialties, Springfield Clinic serves a population of nearly one million patients throughout the central Illinois region.
Want to read our Springfield Clinic publications, but didn't get a hard copy? View or download past versions of our annual directory and special publications.
2017-2018 Annual Directory (pdf)
2016-2017 Annual Directory (pdf)
2015-2016 Annual Directory (pdf)
Thanks to Donald R. Graham, MD, specialist in Infectious Diseases and nephew of Springfield Clinic's co-founder, Dr. James Graham, Springfield Clinic's first fifty years have been thoroughly and affectionately documented. Excerpts from Dr. Graham's work, Springfield Clinic: The First 50 Years, have provided valuable insight into the character and culture of the organization that remains Springfield Clinic today.
Inside SC Magazine - A celebration of our Main Campus Expansion & 70th anniversary
Springfield Clinic, in recognition of its 75th anniversary of operations in Springfield and central Illinois, celebrated by creating a new charitable program called Mission: GIVE75.
Each month throughout 2014, Springfield Clinic donated items to a community organization from its “wish list.” During this special year-long celebration, our mission was to recognize and give back to those who helped Springfield Clinic lead the way for the past 75 years.
Any non-profit or charitable organization, with a proven track record of service, and that contributes to the health, wellness, fitness or overall quality of life to those in Springfield Clinic’s service region was eligible. Nominations were made by staff, volunteers or the general public through an online submission process.
Stay informed of health tip, trends, recipes & more.